All food items have some sort of nutrition index about them. But there are certain foods that are on top of the ladder amongst all the foods of the world. These foods are termed as ‘Super Foods’. These foods are nutritionally dense and are extremely good for the health. In some cases ‘Super Foods’ are even said to assist in certain medical conditions. New research is always going on for finding the next ‘Super Food’ but there are some which are tried and tested and can be truly termed ‘ Super Foods’. We have provided this list below based on nutritional value and the ease of availability of these products. We do not want you to spend a fortune of new fads in the ‘super foods’ market. So here we go –
- Spinach:- We want you to think of Popeye the sailor man and his super increase in strength when he eats a jar of spinach. Well it might be a little exaggeration but not too far off. Spinach is a wonder food rich in anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory and rich in vitamin A & K and calcium plus fiber. In fact most green vegetables are extremely nutritious and cheaper compared to fancy ones available in super stores. So add for spinach, broccoli, kale or Brussels sprouts for that daily kick of nutrition density.
- Eggs:- The staple food of body builders and athletes all over the world, this super food is rich in amino acids and is a great source of cheap and high quality protein. A medium sized egg provides 6 grams of protein but only 72 calories. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids which is beneficial for heart health. Protein is the building block of muscles and eggs sure are cheap, readily available source of food.
- Banana:- There are many fruits like apples, kiwi fruit and avocados which many people will tell you are super foods. But good old banana takes the top spot among fruits in our list. Bananas are easily available all year round, are damn cheap and are tasty as well. This wonder fruit is easy to digest (therefore improves gut health), provides a steady stream of energy to our body (you can watch some athletes eating bananas during their matches) and is an extremely good source of potassium. Contrary to popular beliefs, adding a banana would actually assist people in slimming down rather than gain more weight. So we recommend adding a banana to your daily diet especially if you are an active person.
- Almonds:- Of all the nuts available in the market, almonds are the most nutritionally dense. They offer the highest concentration of nutrients per calorie per ounce. They provide a healthy dose of potassium, calcium, vitamin E, magnesium, and iron. They are also a rich source of fiber. Plus they are delicious. Put some almonds in your shakes or smoothies to make them even tastier and crunchy.
- Lentils:- This food is extremely cheap, easy to prepare, come in different varieties and readily available plus it’s a great source of protein, iron and other essential nutrients. Iron available in lentils may help fight anemia. This food is a must have in your food cabinet especially if you are a vegetarian or a vegan. This food will assist in meeting your daily protein requirement. Its low in glycemic index too, which means the energy released from lentils may not increase blood sugar as certain other foods do and may keep us energized for longer period of time.
As you can see that our list is not extensive, but is purely based on the cost and availability of the product. You do not need to spend an exuberant amount of money to stay healthy, just add these ‘Super Foods’ to your daily diet and see the difference in your health soon. Stay healthy!