We live in a fast paced society and let’s admit that some of us are too lazy to go to the gym but then there are some people who really can’t go to the gym. It might be due to money reasons or simply lack of time or dearth of a decent gym in your vicinity. Well whichever category you fall into, here’s a list of top exercises that you can do at home which don’t require any equipment. Just follow the simple instruction given below for the exercises and start your at home fitness routine today.
1) Squats: One of the simplest and most effective exercises is squats. You don’t need heavy weights to perform squats at home. At first start with your body weight only. Squat is a compound exercise (involving more than a couple of muscles during the movement) that trains primarily the muscles of the thighs, hips and buttocks and quadriceps. Here’s how to perform body weight squat as per folks at bodybuilding.com:-
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. You can place your hands behind your head. This will be your starting position.
- Begin the movement by flexing your knees and hips, sitting back with your hips.
- Continue down to full depth if you are able,and quickly reverse the motion until you return to the starting position. As you squat, keep your head and chest up and push your knees out.
You can increase the repetitions and the number of sets that you perform to give yourself more of a challenge and you can also add some weights in the form of dumbbells to your squats as you proceed further.
2) Push-ups: Push-ups are one of the best upper body exercises. Push-ups work on your chest muscles called pectorals, shoulder muscles, back of biceps called triceps and the “wing” muscles directly under your armpit, called the serratus anterior. Here’s how to perform a push-up:
- Lie on the floor face down and place your hands about 36 inches apart while holding your torso up at arms length.
- Next, lower yourself downward until your chest almost touches the floor as you inhale.
- Now breathe out and press your upper body back up to the starting position while squeezing your chest.
- After a brief pause at the top contracted position, you can begin to lower yourself downward again for as many repetitions as needed.
3) Lunges: The lunge is a lower-body exercise that works several muscle groups at once. The targeted muscles include the glutes in your hips and butt along with the hamstrings and quadriceps in your thighs. The calf muscles in your lower legs, your abdominal muscles and your back muscles act as stabilizers during this exercise. Start with your feet together and arms resting comfortably by your sides. Step forward with your right foot and lower your body until your front knee is at 90 degrees and your back knee is not touching the floor. Then, to complete the exercise, push off your front right foot while straightening your left leg. Keep your right foot off of the floor and balance with your right thigh parallel to the floor.
4) Plank: The plank is one of the best exercises you can do for your core (abdomen) because it builds isometric strength to help sculpt your waistline and improve your posture. And depending on the type of plank you try, you can also engage your back, arms, shoulders, glutes, and hamstrings. But here’s how to do a simple plank
- Get into a prone position on the floor, supporting your weight on your toes and your forearms. Your arms are bent and directly below the shoulder.
- Keep your body straight at all times, and hold this position as long as possible. To increase difficulty, an arm or leg can be raised.
5) Burpees: The great thing about burpees is that they combine cardio and strength into one exercise. A burpee is a complex, total-body exercise that will work your upper and lower body at the same time with a strong focus on the core.
- Begin standing with your legs shoulder-width apart.
- Place your hands on the floor and kick your legs back so you end up with your stomach and thighs on the floor. Your elbows should be bent.
- From this position, press up like you’re doing a push-up and push your hips up.
- Jump your feet under your hips and stand.
- Finish the movement by jumping in the air and bringing your hands over your head.
Simply by following these 5 exercises you’ll see a difference in your fitness level within a week itself. We guarantee that! So what are you waiting for? Start right away.